A Maze You'll Enjoy

A Maze You'll Enjoy
Complicated Minds Are The Most Entertaining

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

How Hard Are You Working On This Maze: My Employment

I held a lot of different jobs with different pay. Where to start? Well how about my first job? My first couple jobs weren't paying jobs and nor were they jobs in which I was technically an employee. I guess you can say I volunteered my time. But of course...I started early (10-12 range) lol. Its a Jamaican thing I guess. We are all speculated to have multiple jobs and start young.

I started helping counselors with kids and had a blast. At that age, kids were respectful. They were just about having fun. But then again...I was a kid also. After doing that for years on and off....I was able to finally work in NY state because I turn 14. What did I do first? I landed a position at a Police Athletic League (PAL), where I was already in their sports program. What did I do? Sports lol. Coaching, reffing, being an assistant at times, then I would be a counselor there for the fun of it. I was known there and in everything. Felt like I ran that place. But when it stopped being fun...I left. Especially since it was hitting my grades hard. Sometimes I would go to school...run there right after...then not leave until 11 or 12 at night...then go home...and there's no homework being done. Only was a counselor twice after this though and was even a janitor for a while at this same PAL.

So what did I do next? A friend of mine helped me get a job at Rye Playland. It was more a summer job than anything...but it definitely helped things. I felt like a baller. Bringing in $600+ every 2 weeks. I was 17 working 1130am till 12am or 1am at night for 5 or 6 days a week. Against the law, but no one was there keeping track. So I was just thinking about the money. Was there a downside? Yeah...its called cleaning bathrooms and having to stay in them all day. What would we do? Sit in the bathroom in that little special room with the cleaning tools. Clean toilets and floors then sleep the rest of the time. But nothing like cleaning up the next person's feces or vomit. Gotta remember...its the hot summer at an amusement park. Not a fun job, but I stayed for two years and worked during the school year also. The only job I have ever quit. I had to though. My manager and I was going to end up fighting if I didn't.

Next came the go karts at New Roc City. We would be there riding the cars when bored. Doing 180s on the track (almost tried it one time in a real car after work, had to slap myself and remember I was on the actual road). And the biggest fun of all.....bagging numbers from girls lol. I've never had so many numbers in my life. Funny thing was that most of the time....I didn't have a phone myself. I would sometimes use my coworkers phones to get the number. We would stop ENTIRE races to go flirt with a female. The races that were done, we would slow down a girl's car and go flirt or just drop your phone in and she knew what it meant. Would have her laughing while buckling her belt before the ride and get her number on the way out. Get her number while she in the line. The list of ways was endless. I always had the most numbers even though some of the other guys looked better. They were confused to how easy it was for me lol. But all those times talking to girls...the camera would spot me or other customers would complain. I guess that's why they didn't bring me back for a second year even though I was up for a manager position earlier that I had to turn down for school.

Last two really taught me a lot. A cook in a kitchen for Ruby Tuesdays and a programming internship with Computer Sciences Corporation. Being a cook....I learned how to be a better cook in real life lol. Most stressful job ever though. I would have nightmares. Most orders you had to push them out within 5 minutes. Why only 5 minutes when you wait so long? Well chances are the main part of the meal will take a while to get up on the board, start cooking, then X amount of time for it to be ready...and then it has to go out the same time as the thing that took 5 minutes. Was happy to say I could make everything on the menu. A lot of times I would be the only cook in the entire restaurant. How did this work?? Running my butt off and keeping track of everything in my head lol. I worked my way up fast with raise after raise and promotion after promotion. I felt bad at times though. I know that others were there longer...guess I just stood out more...I was the only black cook lol. Then with that programming internship...I never mad so much money in my life. Its then I realized that I had a big future and wouldn't want to mess things up. First office experience and first time dressing up for work. BUT hated the job because I wasn't doing enough.


So Yeah...A Lot Of Jobs Left Out...But Hopefully You Can Better See My Transition. And Hard Work Always Beats Talent That's Not Used Properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment